Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Really cool story

Ok, so I have to tell you all this really cool story.

The agency that "pioneered" Embryo Adoption is located really close to Biola (where DH and I attended college). So because of their geographical proximity and my interest in bioethics and such, we've known about EA and about Nightlight (the Agency) for a long time. Long before we ever knew of our infertility, we had filed EA away as something really cool and something we might like to do someday.

That was just one of the many foundational blocks God was laying in our hearts already. When DH and I started to seriously consider our options over the last few months, EA immediately came to mind. We had actually made up our minds a few weeks ago that that was the option we were most excited about but we couldn't really "confirm" it until we had the door closed on natural conception. In the mean time, I contacted the agency and we received the application and we've been setting aside money. Last night that confirmation came and we began to share our decision with friends and family.

Today I called a local Christian adoption agency in town that I had worked with when I worked in the Pro-Life field. Because we live out of state from the Embryo Adoption Agency, we have to find an adoption agency here that will do the homestudy and then send it to Nightlight. I asked the gal at the Arizona Agency if they'd ever done EA and she didn't know. She had me leave a message for someone who would know.

In the mean time I called Nightlight and asked if they'd done any successful placements with Arizona people and if so, which agencies were willing to do the Arizona end? To my surprise, she gave me a list of 6 agencies! So there are at least 6 Arizona Snowflake families (out of only a couple hundred total, worldwide!) I asked her if any of those families had volunteered to help any prospective Arizonans also interested in the process. She didn't know and asked me to leave a message with someone else.

Shortly after that call, the Arizona Agency called back. She said they had worked with a couple to do EA and that she still knew the couple quite well. She also said that in fact, they were in the office just today! Before I could even ask, she offered that she was sure the couple would love to meet with us! She took down our contact information and said she'd pass it on to them. She gave me their first names so that I would recognize the names if they called. The woman's name is a little bit uncommon--uncommon enough that it's unusual you'd run in to two people in the same day with that name. I looked at their adoption profile on the agency website and loved reading their story. They've adopted through both EA and domestic infant adoption so they've seen both sides of the adoption coin! How cool, especially since we hope to do both eventually, too!

I ventured on over to my IF message board where I check in almost daily. I went to an area of the board for EA people. It was a new area for me with different people than I usually bump in to. Imagine my surprise when there was a thread by a user with the same name as this woman! I thought "Surely this must be the same woman!" I read her story and it was! Sadly though, she had left the board and though I could read her posts, I couldn't contact her through the board. I posted the cool coincidence. One of her friends is still active on the board and gave me the lady's blog and website address. I emailed her through her website and just shared the events of today with her and told her that her story and her family's mere presence in the state and successful completion of the same process encouraged us!

She's already written back and she's MORE than willing to chat with us! As it turns out, her family was the first family in the state of Arizona to do snowflake adoption and I can only imagine that the process has gotten easier since then as they've ironed out kinks, so if anyone's the expert, it's her! I'm so thrilled!

We also got the news that assuming we're accepted and our background check checks out and they verify we're who we say we are and we're not criminals ;) this agency WILL do a homestudy again. They're very willing to work with Nightlight again. And, their homestudy fee is 1/3 of what we thought it would be (Nightlight gives a range estimate and we planned for the highest number of that range thinking anything less would be a great surprise). And the time the process takes is 1/2 the time we thought. The homestudy should only take about 3 months once we start it! We had read 3-6 months so we planned for 6! She's sending us an application and we'll turn it in as soon as we can!

We're so excited. It's just so neat to see all these things falling in to place already, one day after this became "official."

9 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that you are exploring embryo adoption. Although Nightlife is a great agency, you might also want to look into the National Embryo Donation Center (http://www.embryodonation.org). It may be a little less expensive and has great results for embryo adoption.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really pleased to hear that this is all falling into place for you.

    It seems like you have a real peace in your hearts over this, which makes me think that God is encouraging you in this direction.

    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  3. mj,
    you continue to be in my thoughts and prayers

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just now catching up on your news, Jen. I'm sorry that the tests confirmed what they did. Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. ICSI was our only option, which as you know, is not an option for us, specifically (our decision).
    But, it looks like you and I are pursuing the same thing--adoption--although in different venues. I'm so glad things seem to be falling into place. That's the way it has been for us, too. Doors just keep opening!!
    I'll be praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to hear things are progressing for you guys! And I'm glad you discovered Todd's condition earlier than you otherwise would have, even though it's due to a sad thing.
    It seems God has started answering your prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah Jen and Todd!
    I was at the craft store making baby gifts and got very distracted imaging what fabric I will use for yours...soo excited for you (and your adopted sweetheart). A friend who adopted both her kids told me, you don't adopt to fill a need in your soul you adopt because you have something to give and you and Todd have alot to give. We are praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know a couple who adopted embryos through the Nightlight Snowflakes program. They were very pleased with the professionalism of the Nightlight staff in helping them journey through the process. Now they have a beautiful baby girl! My husband and I have heard enough good things about Snowflakes to begin seriously considering EA ourselves. May God give you wisdom and courage... He is afterall the Life-giver!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what an inspiring story. confirms that He has a plan for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jen, how exciting! Is Nightlife the agency that places "snowflake babies"? I've heard of that before and always thought it sounded awesome. I'm very happy for you and hope that the process will be quick and as non-expensive as possible!

    ReplyDelete