Monday, December 7, 2009

Another update about nothing

Still no news...still too soon for any.

I did end up getting sick but the doctor was able to get me in right away today and get me on some antibiotics. Unfortunately there's nothing I can take for the symptoms, but killing the germs and infection mean that it should only last a few days.

We had a nice weekend. On Friday night, we went to see a local community college production of the Broadway version of A Christmas Carol. It was really excellent. Dickens was masterful, to be sure, but stage productions of his work can be so dry and well...Dickensish. Setting his writing to music was pure genius. The gal we went to see is from our church. She's a high school student and she is quite literally, the single most gifted person I have ever met. And what makes it remarkable is that she doesn't even realize it. She's so humble and when she talks about love and God and purity and compassion and faith, its without design or artifice. It's truly a blessing to behold. And such a good reminder. Faith like a child. She isn't really a child. But she has the artless faith of one. Thank you God, for your children, and the way we see You each day in them.

We ended up sleeping most of Saturday-Todd trying to get well and me trying to stay well. We had church on Sunday and decorated the Sanctuary after wards for Christmas and then konked out for most of the rest of the day, again.

On Sunday I taught the Christmas story to the kids in my class. I had a manger to show them and used the language "box of hay" to describe it. A little while later we played a game with a gift package and the word "JESUS" was written on a card placed inside. When we opened the package, I asked the boys why His name was inside the present. They thought for a minute and one said "because Jesus was born in a box?" Such sweet innocence. I got a good giggle out of that one.

Today, I just hung out at home, mostly in bed or in the recliner. Until anyone tells me otherwise, I'm resting for 3 right now ;) I'm needing to catch up on work and phone calls (BFF I still owe you a call!) and household duties.

I did make a couple of soups this weekend that turned out pretty tasty....for lack of much else to write about, I'll post them here:

Taco Soup:
1 lb ground beef
1 15 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 white onion, diced
2 TBS garlic, minced
1 bell pepper, any color, diced
8 green onions (green part only), diced
2 small tomatoes, chunked
1 can of tomato sauce (same size can as beans)
2 packages Taco Seasoning (I used Lawrys)
1 TBS ranch seasoning

Sautee beef with white onions, garlic and bell pepper. When browned, add remaining ingredients and simmer on low for 35-45 minutes. Serve topped with sour cream, cheddar cheese and crushed tortilla chips (optional).


*********
Cheesy Vegetable Chowder
6 large red potatoes, skins on, cubed
1/2 white onion, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
5 cups warm water
4 cubes chicken bouillon
1.5 cups broccoli (I used frozen)
1.5 cups cauliflower (I used frozen)
8 oz ham, cooked and diced
2-3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
2 TBS butter

Sautee onions and butter in a stock pot. Add carrots, potatoes, and bouillon dissolved in water. Bring to a boil. Reduce and simmer until potatoes and carrots are partially tender. Add celery and, if using fresh broccoli and cauliflower, these as well. Continue simmering until all veggies are tender. (If using frozen broccoli and cauliflower, just add them in with enough time to cook and tenderize). Pour 1/2 to 3/4 of soup (depending on personal preference) in to a food processor and pulse til chunky, like a chowder texture. Add back into pot and remaining soup mixture. Add cheese and ham and continue heating til cheese is melted and ham is heated.

This made enough for an army and one bowl was very hearty and filling. I've made this before without the ham and it's been good too. Tonight we wanted a little protein since it was all I was cooking, so I added the ham.

That's all for tonight. Wish I had more to update...trust me, I'm sure I'm far more impatient than you are!

Xoxoxoxoxo

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipes!! Looking forward to your special news soon! (Not saying when, but I googled it - so I'll be checking your blog pronto on that day, LOL!!!!)

    See you Sunday!
    D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOSH!!!! YOU ARE BLOGGING!!! I still had your old blog saved on my favorites list. I checked in from time to time, and I thought of you often...your last post on your old blog was heartbreaking. I am so excited to see that I have month and months of catching up to do on you and your family :) I will be praying, praying, praying for your transfer results. Tis the season of miracles :)

    ReplyDelete