Saturday, October 25, 2008

Home Improvements and Gymboree

The house is STILL a disaster although we now have a fully drywalled ceiling again! Woohoo!


I've now got 6 different colors on the wall and am still no closer to choosing one. My sister in law is really good at choosing paint colors. Hmmmm, we have Rent-a-Jeff. Wonder if she'd go for Rent-a-Samantha? At this point I think I almost rather someone make the decision for me. I never want to see another version of tan, beige or light brown ever again! This shouldn't be this difficult! I love the two darkest colors in this photo, but we're concerned it will be too dark. So the other colors are our attempt at compromising to get something lighter but still with a depth of richness to the color. (Don't worry, your eyes aren't playing tricks on you-the same colors are repeated several times because I pained them next to each other in different combinations and in different light situations.



I did try to actually be helpful today, but I can't hold up drywall for very long by myself (though I did it for two huge pieces! Got my workout!) and my attempt at drilling the screws in left me with an eyeful of drywall dust-ouch! I did a little mudding too. That was kind of fun and reminded me of many house building mission trips from highschool and college when we stuccoed the whole house by hand, with stucco we mixed completely by hand! In any case, I think they decided that I do best at the current moment as official event historian and photographer. Ergo:



Aye, the mess!!!


I'm also sent to Home Depot. Often. During the rest of the day, I've busied myself trying to minimize the mess in the rest of the house.

I've also decided that Gymboree is evil! Over the years of our IF journey, one of the therapeutic things for me has been to occasionally add a piece to my hope chest. I try to do it just once a year--this year I added a couple more things to commemorate important events. None of what I have in the box is expensive and I usually try to steer clear of the expensive stores altogether. But Gymboree just makes the cutest stuff so occasionally I window shop. I've had frequent exposure to their cuteness because my other Sister in Law has the most well-decked-out little Princess you'd ever see and she could be a little Gymbo model. But Gymboree's prices are stinkin outRAGEOUS! Seriously, their clothes cost more than I'll spend on myself! My SIL is a really good Gymbo bargain hunter between outlets, consignments, sales, and ebay--I'm thinking she'll need to teach me her ways! But for now I generally stay away from their website because it's very easy to get carried away. See no evil, do no evil, right?

But, one of our Snowflake Mommies sent around an email though that they have Snowflake stuff in their new line. It's just as ridiculously priced as the rest of their stuff, but seriously, did you ever see a cuter little dress?


The detail around the bottom is a bunch of little silver snowflakes.

With the little tights and hair bows that match




And for when a little girl is a little older they have this




Suffice it to say, I wanted to click "Check Out" very badly! But on principle alone I can't spend $67.50 on one and a half outfits for any child, especially one who isn't even here yet, much less assured of being a girl! But I just might have to check back in a few weeks and if it goes on clearance, I just might have to consider buying it. Children's clothing marketers are some of the savviest people in the world. They know how to go straight for a momma's heart! Can't you imagine Baby Someday's Christmas Pictures a few years from now wearing that darling little outfit? Ah, to have hopes and dreams of little feet again brings such joy to my heart! Ah well, enough!

A quick update on earlier prayer requests. Blog buddy Sara and baby Brynn are hanging tight. Baby Brynn is doing fantastically but her momma could use our prayers for her own wellbeing as she tries to hang tight for Brynn as long as possible! But God has already done many miracles for this precious family and we rejoice with them in Thanksgiving!

I'm doing much better on the medication. I even upped my dosage earlier in the week and it doesn't seem to have been too terrible. I had a rough week for a lot of other reasons, but I'm really glad that the medicine wasn't worse! So I've been glad for the relief. I add another medication next week so I hope and pray that transition is smooth.

Other than that, it's business as usual around here! But that also means church still comes bright and early tomorrow morning so I best get to bed! I hope you all are well!

10 comments:

  1. k, it'd totally be taking a chance on you missing your cute dress, but why don't you RSS an ebay search for it? Name brand clothes often show up (often in lots) on ebay the next season. Take a peek there (search "Gymboree" and your wanted size) and see what I mean. If you waited till, say, spring, you'd probably be able to find it used. Don't know if you're the secondhand type (I unashamedly am - big thrift store fan here!), but if you are, it's a great way to get cheap, good quality clothes with just a bit of wear.

    Also, if you like hairbows, check out etsy. You can get anything there - custom made, often - for a fair price, and you'll be supporting an actual craftswoman.

    Anyway, just my two cents, if you're looking for another way to do it.

    p.s. Not exactly what you were looking for, but how's this? http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-GYMBOREE-Pink-Snowflake-Princess-Dress-18-24M-NEW_W0QQitemZ200267781461QQihZ010QQcategoryZ147181QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    or this: http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-Gymboree-SNOW-PRINCESS-Velour-Snowflake-Dress-4-4T_W0QQitemZ260303221375QQihZ016QQcategoryZ163458QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    some are new with tags, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHATEVER you do, do not buy that dress/combination. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh-oh, the previous poster suggested that you NOT buy the dress. I am sorry, but I bought it for you - the whole outfit, with a 25% off coupon I had. I got the dress, hair bows, and tights in size 3-6 months, and the "one of a kind" shirt in size 3. Even if you can't use it for a girl, you can save it for a later child or give it to another snowflake mommy.

    I have been through IF firsthand, so I just wanted to "help the cause" so to speak, and you are a true inspiration to me. I know how important hope is. Even though Phoenix is a bit hot for this type of outfit, you can use it for a photo session if needed.

    Email me at Li.tterOf.1 @gmail.com (without periods.) and I will send the outfit to a non-personal PO box address for you. Hugs and keep your chin up through the meds and household remodeling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My painting rule of thumb is to go one shade lighter than the color you think you like best. So I vote for color #3, the one that is 75% of your favorite color #1.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THank you so much Jen - your post warmed my heart to read like a good cup of coco :-) It is so appreciated.

    I love the photos - it is so fun to see a work in progress. It's going to be great when it's all done - and I actually like all of the colors, we have some similar ones throughout much of our main floor. But I do realize picking paint is such a challenge, LOL! Hope you get one you love soon - I do like your #1 pick also - but the others are great too :-) ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's all right litterof1, I was pretty sure that if I didn't pick it up for her, someone else would!

    I admittedly have several snowflake outfits stashed away, just waiting...

    Your poor kid and the Phoenix weather.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gymboree IS outrageously priced, but you know what? It's really well-made, the colors never fade, and spit-up stains magically disappear. I would never buy full price (although I love the little boy Christmas collection!), but when I find stuff on sale, it's totally worth it. I feel the same way about OshKosh jeans and overalls! They last forever. :)

    Now you just have to cross your fingers for a girl...

    So glad to hear your medication is treating you better! You're such a trouper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad you are finally getting the changes to the kitchen I know you have wanted for so long!

    And I feel the same way about Gymboree! So cute. Too expensive. You will find something JUST as cute and not as pricey! They make cute stuff every year!! ;D

    It sounds like things are going well for you. I hope we can catch up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love color #3!!!

    ~ Monika (from HP)

    ReplyDelete